One of the important aims of the Literacy Coalition is to increase awareness of the importance of family literacy and provide family literacy support and information for families and program providers. We believe that families have a profound and lasting influence on children’s literacy development and that it is never too early to begin sharing books with babies and encouraging their literacy learning. Family literacy practices encourage the development of lifelong readers and learners and help maintain the literacy levels of adults as they go about their daily lives.
Below are some helpful links to family and early childhood literacy resources. These resources contain book lists, tips and ideas for encouraging family literacy in every day life and lots of fun activities for the whole family.
Sharing Books with Babies – It’s Never too Early!
This exciting video depicts babies and parents enjoying books together in a variety of everyday situations. It demonstrates the importance of sharing books with infants and toddlers and contains helpful information and tips for parents wishing to support their children’s early literacy development from birth.
Click on the video below to start watching!
Let’s Learn! Booklet
- Let’s Learn! A parent’s guide to giving your child a great start
- Apprenons Ensemble! Offrons un meilleur départ a nos tout-petits
- Kina’masultinej! Let’s Learn!
- Family Literacy in the Outdoors
- Re-connecting the World’s Children to Nature
- Children at Play in the Great Outdoors
- Family Literacy in the Outdoors Travelling Trunk Kit
Writing and Drawing
- New Brunswick Family questionnaire results for the Literacy Asset Map Research
- Community-Based Family Literacy Program: Comparing Different Durations and Family Characteristics
- Family Literacy Matters
Exploring Literacies Handbook
Canadian Children’s Literacy Foundation
NB Public Library: Videos on Supporting Early Literacy Development
These videos on were developed by the NB Public Library as part of their Every Child Ready to Read initiative. They show how parents can support their child’s early literacy development through Talking, Singing, Reading, Creating and Playing, everyday. Click the links below to watch their YouTube videos.
Take Twenty Tip Sheet
This Take Twenty tip sheet invites families to take twenty minutes to make learning part of every day. Click on the picture below to see some great learning tips with wonderful illustrations by Barbara Reid!